PM inaugurates solar power project | Fusion - WeRIndia

PM inaugurates solar power project

PM inaugurates solar power project

Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated solar power project in Madhya Pradesh yesterday through video conferencing. It is the largest solar power project in Asia. He dedicated the project, Rewa solar power project to the nation.

Here are some important things to know about the Rewa solar power project:

  • The Solar Park is extended in an area of over 1500 hectares. The Rewa Ultra Mega Solar Limited (RUMSL) developed it. RUMSL is a joint venture of Solar Energy Corporation of India and Madhya Pradesh UrjaVikas Nigam Limited.
  • The cost of the development of the park is ₹138 crores. The central government provided the funds to RUMSL.
  • It is the first solar project in the country which breaks the grid parity barrier.
  • The tariff of the Rewa solar project is ₹2.97 per unit in the first year which is lower than those of existing solar projects of around ₹4.50 per unit.
  • It showed a tariff escalation of ₹0.05 per unit for 15 years and the levelized cost of energy is ₹3.30 per unit for 25 years.
  • The solar power project reduces carbon emissions a lot. It is estimated to reduce carbon emissions equivalent to nearly 15 lakh tons of CO2 each year.
  • It is estimated to achieve the target installed renewable energy capacity of 175 GW by 2022.
  • The Delhi Metro will get 24 percent of energy and the remaining 76 percent will be supplied to the DISCOMs of Madhya Pradesh. Thus, this power project supplies energy to an institutional customer outside the state also and it is the first solar power project to do so.
  • The Rewa Solar Power project received the World Bank Group President’s Award for its excellence and revolution.

Image from Pxhere (Free for commercial use / CC0 Public Domain)

Image Reference:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.