Natural Remedies for GERD
GERD stands for gastroesophageal reflux disease. The disease is the result of acid reflux. Swollen esophagus is seen in this disease and acid is kicked back by stomach towards throat. In recent days many people are suffering with this disease due to their life style. Sore throat, difficulty in swelling, constant cough, pain and burning in chest are some of the common symptoms of GERD.
Certain home remedies are there for GERD to get relief from acid reflux.
- Add a ½ teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water and drink it to get relief from GERD symptoms.
- Aloe vera juice helps in reducing inflammation. So, take ¼ cup aloe vera juice before meals to soothe your inflammation. But keep in mind that aloe vera juice is a laxative.
- Chew sugar free gum after meals. According to the Journal of Dental Research, people with chronic heartburn felt relief after they chewed a piece of sugar-free gum for 30 minutes after a meal.
- Lying down worsens the symptoms of GERD. So, don’t lie down up to 3-4 hours after eating.
- Avoid spicy food. Eat smaller amounts of food slowly.
- Fat-free skim milk can ease the symptoms of heart burn.
- Apple cider vinegar is considered beneficial for GERD. Mix 1 or 2 teaspoons in 150ml of water and drink this 2 to 3 times before each meal.
- Add basil leaves to coconut water and drink it to ease the symptoms of GERD.