Solar panels that produce electricity and heat water | Fusion - WeRIndia

Solar panels that produce electricity and heat water

Solar panels that produce electricity and heat water

You know that solar panels generate electricity. But, do you know that solar panels also help in heating water directly?

A Hyderabad based startup has developed a technology so that solar panels can produce electricity as well as heat water.

Birds Eye Energy has designed ‘Duplex’ solar panels. These are 2-in-1 solar panels that generate energy and heat 120 litres of water a day.

Praneeth Pillarisetti, the founder of Birds Eye Energy says that normally any solar panel can utilize 18 per cent of sun’s energy to convert it into electricity. The remaining 82 per cent of energy is wasted as heat which is released in ambient air.

The duplex solar panel has a heat recovery system to capture the wasted heat and utilises it to heat water.

Thus, this solar panel utilizes solar energy more efficiently by up to 40 per cent.

Praneeth along with Harsha Vardhan Reddy started Birds Eye Energy in 2016. They are IIT alumni.

The duo did a lot of research on the prototype to make the product viable in the market.

For domestic use, their prototype is tested for a home in Tarnaka and commercial complexes at IIT Madras.

They monitored the data for around a year and modified their product accordingly.

They launched their product finally in April 2019.

The Duplex solar panel can generate 330W power and 100-120 litres of hot water per day. It measures 2×1 m like any other standard PV panel.

The cost of the solar panel is around ₹20,000.

This 2-in-1 solar panel can generate electricity and heat water, hence it is ideal for residences, hotels and hospitals.

Rather than fitting two solar panels to serve different functions, the Duplex can serve both the functions and can save money by 15 per cent.

Image Reference: Thebetterindia

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *