Foods that are rich in Serotonin
Serotonin is a hormone and neurotransmitter.
Its scientific name is 5-hydroxytryptamine, or 5-HT, but it is commonly known as the happy chemical as it plays a crucial role in regulating mood.
It affects all types of behavior including hunger, emotional needs, and sleep cycles.
It even plays a crucial role in maintaining libido and sex life of humans.
Certain foods are rich in serotonin:
- Nuts like almonds, walnuts etc. help release serotonin into the bloodstream. One study found that consumption of walnuts improved the Total Mood Disturbance score.
- Tofu has tryptophan, isoflavones and complex carbohydrates that play a key role in serotonin production. Isoflavones increase the level of serotonin transporter protein. In addition to that, the three components of tofu work together to affect the mood cycles and sex hormones.
- Salmon has a significant amount of omega-3 fatty acids which help in the production of serotonin. It also helps regulate libido.
- Edible seeds like pumpkin, watermelon, flax, squash, sesame, chia, basil seeds etc. have considerable amount of omega-3 fatty acids. They regulate the production of serotonin. Black cumin seeds also increase the brain serotonin levels.
- Turkey has more tryptophan than chicken. When taken with carbohydrate, turkey improves the levels of serotonin in the brain and makes you feel happy.
- Leafy vegetables are loaded with minerals, vitamins and essential fatty acids. Leafy vegetables like spinach, kale, Brussels sprouts etc. have alpha-linolenic acid that helps in the production of serotonin.
- Milk has tryptohan which helps in inducing serotonin. Regular consumption of milk improves mood swings.
- Eggs help maintain serotonin levels in the body as they contain essential fatty acids and tryptophan. Cheese also helps in maintaining the levels of serotonin.
- Fruits like bananas, mangoes, plums, pineapples, kiwi, grapefruit and honeydew have high serum concentration and help produce serotonin. Tomatoes and avocadoes help balance its levels.
Image Reference: Boldsky